Friday, February 22, 2008

A night of latin jazz

I just came from watching a live performance.  My Japanese friend, U-san, invited me to watch his band perform tonight.  This time, he told me it was Latin Jazz, different from the jazz and pop-rock he used to do.  I think he got tired of his drum set and would rather play with his bongos and cajon for now.  

The place was in Kamiooka, a few blocks away from the Keikyuu and Subway stations.  It's called Kunkunshi-raya.  It was a cozy little plaze with wooden tables and chairs.  The 'stage' had a piano and wooden bass, and of course amps and stuff.  J and I were the only ones supposed to go, but after seeing E and C, we, or rather I, "forcefully urged" them to come with us.  

My officemate K-san and another acquaintance M-san were already there.  I was late because Y-san just couldn't take a hint that I really had to go at 6:30.  I was able to come out 30 mins later.  Good thing J didn't get tired of waiting.  

The music was a welcome change of pace.  It was soothing and melodious.  I felt my feet tap to the percussion.  My fingers were doing the bass tabs.  Think "Summertime" by Norah Jones.


Here's a link from their previous performance.

I hope to catch them again soon!  And also, I'd like to taste their food again because the Okinawa Yakisoba was fantastic!

No comments: