Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Flea Market Haul

There was a flea market again in the Nissan Stadium (location of the 2002 World Cup) last Sunday.

We went there after church and lunch, just to browse and see if we could get some bargains. After finishing a moderate plate of pepperonchino at ShinYokohama, we set off for the stadium, which was still a little over a kilometer away. Mind you, last Sunday was a hot day. In the meager shadows of the structure, we hunted and scavenged.

I saw a few electric guitars, bass guitars on display a few steps from the North gate of the stadium. The price for a bass guitar (secondhand, of course) I fancied was 4,500yen (around $40) . I inspected it and made sure there were no scratches on its molave and black body. I checked the fretboard and strings, too, and there were none amiss. Choices, choices. The price didn't include an amp, nor is the man selling one. I passed it off and thought that it wasn't for me.

About a quarter of the stadium away, in another stall, I was able to find a Roland amp for 1,500 yen!!! Surely, this must be a sign! - I thought. Throwing caution to the wind, and not thinking anymore of how I'm gonna bring that home to Manila, I decided to buy both amp and bass. Together with E, I ran back to the first vendor, paid the cash and got myself my very own BASS GUITAR! On our way back to the amp, we met our other companions, then proceeded to the amp. Just my luck (sic), the woman told me that somebody just bought it not 2 minutes before!! Aaargggh!!! What was I to do with just an electric bass?! I decided to search all the stalls and try to find an amp. K was able to buy an acoustic guitar at another location and somehow, E noticed a rather old Fernandes amp there. Although he could not remember where he saw it, E mentioned the other amp to me. As soon as K and T were able to go back there, T guarded the amp and K set off to look for us. Finally I was able to have an amp! And for just 800 yen ($7) at that!

We immediately hurried off to Kamoi and I went to J's place to jam with him. We tested the amp first to see if it was still in prime condition. Both amp and bass turned out more than ok, thank God! A few minutes after that, we were already jamming. With or without you, Biglaan, Under the Bridge - yatta!!!

That was a nice Sunday.

It would have been nicer if J was able to buy his electric guitar (with amp!)

Everything would have fallen into place if E bought the electric drum kit he was always practicing with at Lalaport.

;)

Now, help me put a little ointment on my sunburnt nose.

-o-

No comments: