Thursday, June 09, 2005

Voltes V toy coming out soon!

I'm gonna get me a Voltes V toy come Christmas! Yay!!!

Excuse my giddiness. I just can't get over the fact that every Pinoy 80s boy's dream toy, Voltes V, will be released by Bandai either end of this year or early next year. Oops, that statement should have been followed by lots and lots of exclamation points! as in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However silly or nearly impossible the Voltes series were, it captivated all our imaginations. I mean, really, everyone I knew back then were watching the series. From the original airing in the late '70s (which led to a mini revolt among kids when Marcos decided to ban it citing violence daw as the reason), to the never-ending replays in the '80s (which didn't actually reach the end of the series), and finally the revival in the '90s. It was even released as a VCD here in the Philippines, together with my other favorite, Daimos.

So what is it about Voltes V that hooked us to our television screens? Well it maybe the temporary escape from our dreary lives. Imagine the excitement of handling your own ship which combines to 4 others to become a Super Robot! I mean, I was Little John's age, and I believed I could be one of them. It didn't matter that they didn't have military-type flying lessons. It didn't matter that the youngest could only have been in 1st year high school, tops. It made us want to be them, not just admire them.

It could be the cool vehicles/robot. It was Earth's last stand against an Alien invasion, for cripes' sakes. Even with that, you just can't help your ooohs and aaahs looking at each ship, and then having the power to "volt in!" and become the greatest machine to defend Earth. And with that feeling of having their backs against the wall and winning each and every single time, talk about never-say-die!

It could be the translation of the said ships to a toy line. I have this friend, Voltaire, who had the toy and I would bike to their place so that we can play during weekends. If it weren't for this, I don't think we would have been friends, coz we belong to different crowds in school. But we got past the toy phase eventually, and became good friends. I would re-enact the whole volting in (with matching singing pa ng theme song!).

Now, with the release of this toy, my childhood dream will finally come true! I know this guy (his mom and my mom are great friends) in the States. When his mom came over for a visit, his only "bilin" was a Voltes V toy. He didn't care how much it costs. He just told her na now that he's earning, he'd like that 1 toy he didn't have growing up. Alas, the mom could not locate one. So Kuya A, very soon you could own one!

So all you kids of the '80s, Let's Volt In! (sabay pindot nung red button, para ma-play yung theme song!)

N, pabili naman dyan!

1 comment:

D said...

hi ruther! what's special about this toy? i mean ano yung difference nya with the other voltes v toys that came out before? i wanna get one too!! not for me heheh .. just thought it'd be a great gift ;)
musta na po?

-dale